01228 59 39 39

Bereavement Support Payment


Losing a loved one hard enough, but when this leaves you with additional financial burdens, the stress can become overwhelming.

If your Husband, Wife or Civil Partner died on or after 6th April 2017, you might be entitled to Bereavement Support Payment. The Bereavement Support payment system is set up through the social securities system and is there to support people who are not claiming benefits.

What is the Eligibility criteria?

You might be able to get Bereavement Support Payment if your husband, wife or civil partner died on or after 6th April 2017.

You could be eligible as long as your partner either:

  • paid National Insurance contributions for at least 25 weeks
  • died because of an accident at work or a disease caused by work.

When they died, you must have been:

  • under State Pension age
  • living in the UK or a country that pays bereavement benefits.

If living outside of the UK, to be eligible, you must live in the European Economic Area (EEA), Switzerland or Gibraltar.

If you live outside the EEA, you may still be eligible for Bereavement Support payment if you live in;

  • Barbados
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Channel Islands
  • Israel
  • Jamaica
  • Kosovo
  • Macedonia
  • Montenegro
  • New Zealand
  • the Philippines
  • Serbia
  • Turkey
  • USA

Bereavement Support Payment – How much do you get?

There are two rates, a Higher rate and a Lower Rate.

If you receive Child Benefit (or if you do not get it but are entitled to it), you’ll get the higher rate.

If you do not get Child Benefit, you’ll get the lower rate unless you were pregnant when your husband, wife or civil partner died.

The Higher rate is a one-off payment of £3,500 followed by 12 monthly payments of £350.

The Lower rate is a one-off payment of £2,500 followed by 12 Monthly payment of £100.

Bereavement Support Payment – When should you claim?

This process is not going to be on the top of your list of priorities. However, if you are struggling financially, then it should be up there.

The government website states;

“You must claim within 3 months of your husband, wife or civil partner’s death to get the full amount. You can claim up to 21 months after but your payments will be less.” To claim you need to contact the DWP and you can find out how by clicking here

If you have recently lost a loved one and need help with the probate process, please visit our Probate page or contact us on 01228 59 39 39.

If you are worried about your partner and how they will cope financially without you visit our Wills, Estates and Trusts Page to speak to one of our experts.